About This Blog

My Precocious Yorkshire Terrier, Dolly, has graciously given me a corner on her website. Here I may vent and generally just ramble, but I also will share my interests with you. Hope you like at home with D in "D's" Corner.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Zucchini Lemon Almond Glazed Cake & a Pot of Tea


Zucchini Lemon Almond Glaze Cake
I got this basic idea from the internet, but then I never can leave well enough alone.  I feel that if something is good it can still be better, so I added my own little twists to the recipe.  The finished result is a very moist and delicious Loaf Cake that will keep you talking.  First of all there is NO; I repeat NO substitute for fresh ingredients.  Secondly, if you are going to make a homemade cake, don’t buy a box cake and call it homemade.  It does not take a whole lot longer to make it from scratch.  Thirdly there are two basic appliances that make life easier, i.e., a Stand Mixer (no not a hand mixer) and an Emersion Blender (you will only need the stand mixer for this recipe).  Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment.  Learn the basics then play.  You remember when you were a kid in your Grandmother, Aunt or Mother’s Kitchen, don’t you?  You weren’t afraid to experiment then and making a mess is still a lot of fun.  OK OK, I understand the dishes….don’t write me letters.  Anyway, this is a little off track, back to the cake.


Ingredients:
Cake:
2 cups of Flour
2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
½ teaspoon of Salt
2 eggs
½ cup of Walnut oil
2/3 cup of sugar
½ cup buttermilk
Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
1 Cup Grated Zucchini
Glaze:
1 1/2 Cups of Confectioner Sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
2 Tablespoons of Melted Butter

Instructions:
Grease and Flour a 9x5 loaf pan.  Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
Put Flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl blend and put aside.
In a stand mixer, beat the eggs till foamy, reduce to blend speed then then add the oil and sugar and blend well.  Next add the buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest and blend well.  Reduce speed to stir and stir in the Zucchini until mixed well, but don’t beat or over stir.  Finally add the dry ingredients that you have set aside and stir until well mixed but don’t overdo it.  Pour all of this into a 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350.  Check with a toothpick.  Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove to a rack to completely cool. 
Glaze Prep:  In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar, juice, butter and extract until smooth, pour or spoon over the finished cake.  (should not be too thin add a little more sugar if necessary) Served best when cooled in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but if you can’t wait, go get a cup of tea and reward yourself.

Earl Grey Creme Black Tea
Here is my favorite Tea
I buy loose tea from Teavana:  (Once you buy loose tea you will never use another teabag.)

I make my tea as follows:
My wonderful Cast Iron Hobnail Tea Pot
·         2 teaspoons Earl Grey Crème Black Tea
·         1 teaspoon Mountain Jasmine Tea
·         16 ounce of water (bring to a boil then let sit for 1 minute, it will be the right temperature at that point)
·         Pour over tea leaves and let seep for 4 minutes ( I like strong tea, less time if you don’t)
·         1 tablespoon of honey
·         1 packet sweet and low
·         1 teaspoon of heavy cream

No comments:

Post a Comment