About This Blog

My Precocious Yorkshire Terrier, Dolly, has graciously given me a corner on her website. Here I may vent and generally just ramble, but I also will share my interests with you. Hope you like at home with D in "D's" Corner.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

London Broil Dinner Made Easy



London Broil au Jus, Roasted Herb Potatoes, Salad and a two Minute Cup Cake

I am always looking for a quick and easy meal that, even though, simple and quick, still knocks your socks off.  Ergo, this London Broil Dinner.  The meal only takes about 1/2 an hour total, if your kitchen is set up, with some quick devices to make your work easy.  Over time I have invested in what I will call Kitchen Essential appliances.  I will note these where appropriate.  If you are an individual that only uses a paring knife and a Teflon frying pan, this is going to take a little while longer, so maybe it’s better to pull out a TV Dinner.













The Prep:  Do this the night before and refrigerate overnight but at least 4 hours in advance of cooking.
Make a Marinade (No don’t buy it)
1-2 pound London broil (Pictured: 1 pound, 1 inch thick, top round, Angus Beef)
1/2 cup of soy sauce (use the good stuff, high test: yes I know the salt the salt save your emails.)
Steak & Marinade Prep
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons ground ginger (you can use from a jar, fresh if you have it)
2 teaspoons dry mustard (yes prepared will work, but it has vinegar, use Grey Poupon)
I use this type of Microplane
6 cloves of Minced Garlic (a microplane is another Kitchen Essential.  I have a wide one that I use for everything, especially garlic, ginger and zesting.  I love garlic and if you are going to make this don’t skimp on the Garlic, it’s not going to be that intense when cooked)
1 medium onion thinly sliced  (1/8 inch) (invest in a Mandolin another Kitchen Essential. You can’t do thin with a knife)
A Mandolin like mine
1 gallon plastic refrigerator bag. (I always have 1 quart and 1 gallon bags on hand, for a variety of uses)

Directions:
With a sharp knife, cross score the meat on both sides. (Not too deep) this will allow the marinade to really get into the meat.  Mix the marinade, keeping the onions aside for now.  When well mixed put the steak in the plastic bag, pour in the marinade, add the onions, slosh around and marinate at least 3-4 hours or overnight. Turn the bag occasionally for even penetration.
When ready to cook 
Forman Grill like mine
Several years ago I won a Forman Grill, in a Christmas Pollyanna and this has turned into another one of my Kitchen essentials.  I use it for everything from toast, grilled sandwiches, ham steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chicken and, as in this case a London broil. Now if you don’t have one of these wonderful gadgets,  I will suggest alternative methods later.  I pre heat my Forman Grill, plop the steak on it, close the lid and forget it for 4 minutes (This is for Medium Rare . Cook a little longer for medium.  It’s the  same as conventional grilling for 8 minutes because both sides cook at once) Please if you have to ruin a good steak by doing the “Joan of Arc” go get that TV Dinner, I suggested earlier, instead.  When the steak is done, let rest for 5 minutes, and then with a very sharp knife thinly slice across the grain and at a beveled angle. 
While the Steak is grilling or resting, pour the marinade into a small Cast Iron Skillet (another kitchen essential) and do a liquid reduction on high heat by 1/3, strain and pour warm over the slices of steak.  Serves 4, if you use the deck of cards rule.  I don’t, it’s too delicious. The leftovers make good sandwiches the next day if you have any left.
I enjoy the steak with oven roasted herb potato wedges a side salad  and dessert:  Pictured is a two minute cup cake (I make these up as dry packs in plastic zip bags, then all I have to do is add the wet, slosh around, pour in a cup, microwave for 1 minute and it’s done.)  Below is a recipe for oven roasted Potato wedges.  If you want to know how to make the salad, or a salad dressing (I don’t buy dressing) or the two minute cupcake dessert, contact me.

For the Potato Wedges
Note!  Prep the Potatoes first then pop in the oven 20 minutes before starting to grill the steak, it will all be done at the same time.
Pre heat oven to 475 degrees.  Wash then dry some russet potatoes, then slice each into 6 wedges lengthwise.  Toss in a bowl containing two tablespoons of your favorite herbs, along with some olive oil(2-3 tablespoons), one large Minced Garlic Clove, (salt and pepper to taste), so that this completely coats the potato wedges.   (I like herb de Provence I make my own and always have it in the spice rack; you can buy it, however, pre made) Then stand them up on a cookie sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes at 475, depending on your oven.

Herb de Provence
3 Tablespoons dried marjoram
3 Tablespoons dried thyme
3 Tablespoons dried savory
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

Alternate Grilling Methods for the steak
Outdoor charcoal Grill or I have a Jenn-air downdraft indoor grill. 
Jenn-Air Down Draft indoor Grill like mine.
On high, grill, covered 3 minutes per side, reduce to low cover for 15 more minutes (experiment to doneness) (save time and mess go buy a Forman Grill)  adjust your potato time to accommodate the longer grilling method.

No comments:

Post a Comment