About This Blog

My Precocious Yorkshire Terrier, Dolly, has graciously given me a corner on her website. Here I may vent and generally just ramble, but I also will share my interests with you. Hope you like at home with D in "D's" Corner.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Loaded Potato Soup (Crock Pot)



Crock Pot Potato Soup

I probably have at least a dozen recipes for Potato Soup.  Some with Onion or without, with cheese or without, Cream, Milk or a mix thereof, with butter or without, Puree or Chunk, Thick and Thin.  This recipe however is one of my favorites for a number of reasons.  First it contains Garlic and I love Garlic, then it doesn’t heat up the kitchen, time is not critical, finally the smells in the house are incredible.  The point I am making, is start with the Potato then use your imagination to create what you enjoy.  Of course, I hope you enjoy this recipe.  Pare it with a couple of slices of crusty Garlic Bread.

Ingredients & Directions:

5 large Eastern Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed to bite size.


Serve with some nice Toasted Garlic Bread

1 Large Vidalia Onion, Diced


1 Large Carrot, Diced


1 large stalk of Celery, Diced


5 Cups of Water


4-5 Chicken Bouillon Cubes (I actually like this better than Stock)


3 Cloves Garlic, Minced


1/2 Stick (1/4 cup) Butter


1 Tablespoon Parsley (use half this amount if dry)


1/2 Teaspoon Thyme


1 Tablespoon Salt


Pepper to taste


Combine the above ingredients in a large crockpot; cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours (potatoes should be tender). In the last hour stir in the Chives, Milk, Cream and Cheese

3 Tablespoons Chopped Chives or Spring Onion


1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese


1 Cup of Milk


1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream


Serve with a large Dollop of Sour Cream, sprinkled with Bacon and more Cheese


8 Strips of Bacon Fried Crisp and Crumbled


Sour Cream

 

Enjoy

David

3 comments:

  1. Hi David how do I make this without milk? I use coconut milk and in lieu of butter I use earth balance dairy free soy free margarine. Allergic to anything with cow goat or any mammal milk or cheese or butter etc. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Suellen...Sorry I do not have any experience with non Dairy substitutes, however, having said that I do have friends who are Lactose intolerant and they use Soy Milk, As for the Butter; there are a number of non dairy substitutes like Soybean Margarine out there. As far as the heavy cream and or Sour Cream are concerned you could try using soy yogurt. All of these are specialty items and may not be easy to find. Good luck in your quest and post the results if you make it with substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks I can find most any substitute at health hutt so yes when make will definitely post recipe and results! Appreciate the reply

    ReplyDelete