About This Blog

My Precocious Yorkshire Terrier, Dolly, has graciously given me a corner on her website. Here I may vent and generally just ramble, but I also will share my interests with you. Hope you like at home with D in "D's" Corner.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Banana Cream Pie (Super Easy)


Banana Cream Pie

I made the Pie for a party at the request of a friend.  The original idea for this great tasting pie came from a Pinterest post, but then as always, I can’t leave well enough alone, i.e., if it sounds good it can be better and in this case with a fall spice twist.  You could do this recipe even quicker by buying a pre made pie shell at the supermarket, but here I use my favorite gram cracker and gingersnap homemade shell.  I have also made this with crushed Oreo cookies as a shell.  The important thing is, don’t be afraid to experiment.  Find a basic recipe you like and add your favorite tastes or consistencies to it and make it your own.  My indispensable kitchen appliance here is my emersion blender, which I use to make the crumbs as well as blend the filling.  I also have made crumbs by banging the cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, whatever floats your boat.  I usually make things completely from scratch, but for this recipe I use package pudding and premade whipping cream.  If you really want to do it from scratch, vanilla pudding is not hard to make (Milk, sugar, Cornstarch, flavoring and a pinch of salt, heat to thicken) There are plenty of recipes out there.  The same goes for the Whipping cream or Crème Chantilly (Heavy whipping cream, confection sugar and flavoring, whipped to peaks) It all depends on how much time you want to spend.  I happen to think that J E L L O makes great quick and easy puddings so I use them a lot.  Ok, Ok, enough rambling: Six Sigma would call it “5s”, the French call it “Mise-en-place”(putting in place), I call it “get your act together”. Nothing is worse than trying to make something while you are constantly looking for something.  Read the ingredients, measure everything, dirty a few dishes, set it all out in front of you and get all your utensils and bowls together before you begin to assemble.  Of course the best part of this pie is eating the final result.  Enjoy.

Beginning the Mise-en-place

 

Ingredients:

Making the Crust
1 cup cinnamon graham crackers (crushed)
1 cup gingersnap cookies (crushed)
3 tablespoon sugar
8 tablespoon melted butter
3 bananas (sliced)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
150 grams (5 ½ oz.) Instant French Vanilla Pudding
2 2/3 cup cold milk (a little less than the 3 cups if you were making pudding)
1/4 teaspoon banana extract
1 (8 ounce) Cool Whip Cream
1 Teaspoon grated Bitter Sweet Chocolate.

Steps

1. In a large bowl mix together cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
2. Press into a 9 inch Pie dish or pan.  Place into the fridge for about 20 minutes to set the crust.
Line with banana slices, sprinkle with Nutmeg
3. Slice the bananas and line the bottom of the pie and up the sides.  Lightly sprinkle ½ the nutmeg on top of the bananas. 
4.  Prepare the pudding, by adding the milk and banana extract.  Blend well.
5.  Pour into the prepared pie shell on top of the bananas and allow to set.  Put in the fridge for about 10 minutes to chill and allow to set well. ( Note you are using a little less milk so you get a firmer pie filling)
6.  Lightly sprinkle the balance of the nutmeg on top of the set pie filling.
7.  Spread the cool whip on top of the pie.
Make the Pudding
Finish off the Pie
8.  Shave the Bitter Sweet Chocolate on top of the Cream Pie to finish ( I use a micro plane) 

It's best to share with friends as you will eat this all yourself if you don't
Dave

1 comment: