About This Blog

My Precocious Yorkshire Terrier, Dolly, has graciously given me a corner on her website. Here I may vent and generally just ramble, but I also will share my interests with you. Hope you like at home with D in "D's" Corner.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Crock Pot Roast of Beef Meal (Fantastic)


Roast of Beef, Herb Potato wedges, Salad and a Pot of Tea
(Ok technically it’s braising not roasting but I won’t tell if you won’t) If you are a strictly “Meat and Potatoes” no fuss nut, you are going to really enjoy this.  Over the years I have tried many ways to create that perfect Roast Beef Just like Mom’s, i.e., dark, stringy and flavorful, I have never succeeded, until now.  I have tried High temperature roasting, low temperature roasting, grilling, braising, Dutch oven pot Roast ad infinitum.  Who knew it would be this simple and easy.  I have to admit, this recipe idea, came from a pinterest post by Dan Searose from a blog by Candis Berge that sounded intriguing to me.  Last night I said to myself, “Self, what would it hurt to try”.  Well the outcome far surpassed my expectations and it’s only about 10 minutes of actual prep time for the entire meal, (only 1 minute for the roast) the balance is waiting.  I have to say this is the most delicious roast of beef, like Mom used to make, that I have had in many years.  If you don’t try it, your loss.







Approximately. 2 pound 2 inch thick Chuck

Recipe:

1 pkg of your favorite roasting meat such as Chuck (find a piece nicely marbled) but be sure it’s about 2 inches thick. (About a 2 pound roast)
1 package Mc Cormick dry Hidden Valley Ranch Mix.
1 package McCormick dry Au Jus Gravy Mix
1 stick of unsalted butter
6 or so Pepperoncini Peppers (from a jar)




That’s it !

Directions: 

(You won’t believe this :)  Plop the meat into a Crock Pot, sprinkle the ranch mix evenly over the top of the meat first, and then sprinkle the Au Jus Gravy Mix evenly on top of that.  Then put the stick of butter in the center on top of everything, and surround on top of meat, with 6 of the peppers from the jar.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  That’s it.  Go read a book.  Do NOT add any liquid (I know you are tempted) After the 8 hours all the liquid comes out of the meat, the butter melts though the spices and creates a delicious gravy.  The peppers are especially good after they have cooked for 8 hours, I might be tempted to add more next time I make this, and there definitely will be many many more times.  Take Roast out of pot and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Cut 3/4 inch slices and top with gravy to serve.

Just before the roast is done, make your accompanying vegetables.  In my case I made Herb Roasted Potato wedges (takes about 35 minutes and the recipe can be found here in my blog: see London Broil), accompanied by a nice tossed salad with a Vinaigrette made by adding a 3 to 1 oil to vinegar with a little Dijon mustard to the potato herb residue in the coating bowl.   Enjoy …  BTW the gravy over the potato wedges is an even better hit.

I read on someones comments on  Candis Berge's blog:  Serve over Egg Noodles.  I liked that idea too, so next time.

Dave .....

4 comments:

  1. And here I've always been Browning the meat in a pan first! So can't wait to try this and omit that time consuming part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually brown too, but not for this recipe, The taste is amazing and comes the closest to what Momma used to make. Believe me I have tried every way under the sun and this is the best, and so easy. Follow exactly.....however you can put some whole mushrooms in during the last 1/2 hours. When you make it, share your opinion on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK so I only had brown gravy mix so I used that. Overall it was perfect texture and the flavor was great. However next time I will add just enough mix to cover instead of whole packets and possibly use unsalted butter. The end result was so salty I was glad I made yeast rolls to cut the salt. Way too salty :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I will agree with you about the unsalted butter, if you are not a salt lover use unsalted butter. If you didn't follow the recipe exactly, (including Peppers) then you will have different results. (regular gravy mix might have too much salt) Toward the end of the cooking I always throw in mushrooms as well
    David

    ReplyDelete